Star Destroyer Part II – Geometry Block In

It has been a couple weeks since I looked at my Star Destroyer model. Last time I had come to the conclusion that I should start over because the geometry was messed up in the back of the ship. Rather than start from scratch I decided to delete the geometry be doing a boolean subtraction of a cube from that half of the model.

FixByCuttingInHalf

In order to subtract half the model I went through every vertex that should be aligned and moved them to 0.0 on the X-axis. Then when I subtracted the cube from that half I had a perfectly divided Star Destroyer and my bad geometry was gone forever.

Next step was adding some detail to the engines. I did this using some capped cylinders and extruding them back into themselves to make the engine shape. I still haven’t finished with the bottom of the ship but I might skip to details and UV mapping next week to maximize my learnings.

By no means do I consider this a “good block-in”. This is about building by skills, not fine art!

StarDestroyerDay2Shot1StarDestroyerDay2Shot2

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Art, Speed Modeling and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s