Just finished Portal 2 and I wanted to put my 2 cents in on the experience.
I generally found the game easier than the first game until the last couple of levels. The variety in story was roughly as good, but less of a surprise because it wasn’t as new or fresh as the original. I think I finished the first game in about 4.5 hours. The single player in Portal 2 took me about 6.8 hours. Was it worth $50? Absolutely, even if I don’t play COOP I am happy with the purchase. Portal was still superior as a single player experience to me but I will have to give COOP a try before having a final verdict on this game.
All told, this was a great game and my hat is off to Valve for making a good sequel.
And now I will get into a little of what I think made it great:
- Puzzles – Simple ingredients, great levels
- Portal Gun – Awesome
- Gels – Portal/Jump/Speed – Brilliant extension of core mechanic with great puzzles
- Blocking Beams, lasers and gravity tubes – Plenty of level variety
- Writing and Voice Acting – Great pacing and variety
- First third of the game, same old same old, was getting tired of it and seemed forced
- Middle third – Origin story with a human touch
- Last third – Rivalry